Job Title: Marketing Coordinator
Facility: Museum of Coastal Carolina and Ingram Planetarium
Reports to: Executive Director
Date: July 1, 2021
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Exempt: Part-time 15-30 hours
Ocean Isle Museum Foundation, Inc. Position located at Museum of Coastal Carolina at 21 E. 2nd St., Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469
The Foundation provides programs and experiences that deepen the engagement of students, teachers and the general public in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) and STEM-related disciplines. Ingram Planetarium emboldens people to wonder, to ask questions, to understand and to create a better future. Our mission is to inspire curiosity about our unique coastal environment, history, and the broader natural universe through interactive, fun, science-based experiences.
Position Overview: The Marketing Coordinator is responsible for publicizing and promoting the Museum and the Planetarium and their collections, exhibitions, theater shows and activities/events. The coordinator will maintain visibility in the region and create an overall awareness of the organization while exploring opportunities to encourage visitation.
- Previous professional marketing experience required: Marketing Degree preferred or related degree or experience
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communications skills
- Possesses competent computer
- Experience speaking before a large group of various ages
- Demonstrates ability to cooperate fully with other staff, volunteers, interns, board members, visitors and a diversity of community constituents
- Ability to work independently
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Professional appearance and demeanor – uniform required during staff on duty days
- Flexibility in working hours, as evening, weekend and holiday work is required. Work 15-20 hours a week off-season; 30 summer
- Proficient in Website design (utilizing word press)
- Other skills/abilities – graphics design, photography, social media and networking
Essential Job Functions
- Create a marketing plan and advertising schedule at beginning of fiscal year that is based on analysis of market research, surveys and marketing trends
- Develop and review a marketing budget and monitor expenses to stay within the board-approved budget
- Participate in all marketing committee meetings disseminating minutes of meetings
- Encourage media coverage of museum and planetarium by writing and submitting press releases to the proper contacts while ensuring accuracy and optimal timing
- Identify ways to broaden and diversify the audience base to both facilities (i.e. social media, expos, speaking engagements, branding)
- Successfully market the programs, dome shows, laser shows, events, rentals and fundraisers
- Ensure that staff and volunteers dealing in customer service have accurate information about events, activities, programs, shows and fundraisers
- Update and maintain the Foundation website information
- Update and maintain information promoted on main entry signs
- Update and maintain the phone greetings information at both the Museum and Planetarium
- Take, record, categorize and maintain digitized photographs for media releases, graphics, etc. obtained photo releases as needed
- Design rack cards, brochures, invitations and flyers for fundraising events, receptions, show previews and other special activities
- Develop ads, submit according to specs and timelines with review prior to print or renewals
- Develop and maintain a close relationship with area Chambers of Commerce, media contacts and other partners in tourism and marketing to promote and increase awareness of events.
- Represent the Museum and Planetarium at public speaking engagements or expos
- Market to draw new members
- Market to draw new volunteers working with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Maintain an open line of communication with entire staff
- Preview/edit all outgoing marketing materials, newsletters, articles, etc.
- As staff on duty, responsible for opening and closing the facilities
- Provide general public information
Non-essential Job Duties
- Assist as needed, coordination of school group visitation practices and procedures i.e. registration, confirmations
- Assist educator in coverage for school group visitation
- Assist with training volunteers and new hires
- Assist with special events
- Assist with gift-shop operations as needed
- Train on point-of-sale and daily reporting
- Assist in identifying and recruiting volunteers
Skills, knowledge, abilities and traits
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented, excellent planning, problem solving and organizational skills, multi-tasker
- Ability to plan and think creatively
- Assist with Foundation special events
- Work cohesively with board members of the Foundation
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Majority of work is performed in a professional office environment at the museum. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, as well as lift and move supplies and equipment (up to 50 lbs.).
|Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.|
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, email your resume to the Executive Director at: [email protected]
The Museum of Coastal Carolina and Ingram Planetarium are always ready to welcome new volunteers.
At our facilities, volunteers are able to create fun and unique experiences. All of our volunteers have the opportunity to take part in many different engaging educational activities ranging from helping with our live touch tank filled with cool sea creatures to creating pocket solar systems with kids during our Budding Scientist program.
Still in high school and want to use your free time by engaging with your local community in an exciting and educational way? In our Junior Volunteer Program, you will gain first-hand experience in how we run our facilities and programs. If interested, we also offer the opportunity to host your own program as well as take part in our Budding Scientist program featuring hands-on science activities.
Our volunteers are loved and appreciated here at the Museum of Coastal Carolina and Ingram Planetarium. Join our team today to start creating more fun and unique experiences!
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator by phone (910-579-1016 Ext.105) or by email ([email protected]) for more information.