Job Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Facility: Museum of Coastal Carolina and Ingram Planetarium
Department: Part-time Staff
Reports to: Executive Director
Date: January 19, 2015
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Exempt: Part-time 15-30 hours
This position involves scheduling and completing calendar needs for programming and daily operations of both the museum and the planetarium. The coordinator will provide day to day operations as staff on duty providing some programs as needed, aid with tours at the Museum of Coastal Carolina and Ingram Planetarium to groups and the general public, and aid in the Foundation’s fundraising and special event team efforts.
- High School education required for this position with strong multitasking, great customer service and detail oriented tasks highly sought. Must be a self-starter with follow through and a person of high integrity.
- Recruit new volunteers (may include some expo or off-site locations)
- Directly responsible for providing 100% volunteer coverage during the open hours of both facilities — three volunteers for the Museum of Coastal Carolina and two for Ingram Planetarium
- Train new and returning volunteers at both locations
- Maintain monthly statistics on volunteer hours
- Produce weekly newsletters in coordination with marketing and the Executive Director to volunteers (including Board of Directors and members)
- Plan and execute the volunteer recognition luncheon and meetings (including Volunteer Association Board oversight)
- Serve as staff on duty as assigned
- Assist with Foundation events as needed
Essential Job Functions
- Works with Executive Director and other staff to develop a comprehensive volunteer needs assessment of the Foundation
- Develops and maintains an electronic database system that tracks volunteers, records skills, preferences, availability, and performance. Provides reports to Executive Director as requested.
- Develops and maintains a manual for volunteers that describes Foundation information, guidelines and helpful hints
- Updates information for volunteers at the visitor services and gift shops counters to aid in complete customer services
- Schedules volunteers for shift work according to the Foundation’s needs and priorities
- Ensures volunteer awareness of the Foundation and their duties through orientation and training meetings, newsletters, emails, phone calls and manuals
- Serves as staff liaison with Volunteer Association executive committee and ensures positive, open communication with volunteers and staff
- Meets quarterly or as requested with Executive Director and Volunteer Association executive committee to discuss relevant issues. Responsible for planning and executing volunteer meetings. Plans and executes annual volunteer lunch, awards and menu within budget.
- Manages daily floor operations at Museum and Planetarium facilities as staff-on-duty as assigned
- Assists other staff and board with special events as needed
- Coordinates the South Brunswick Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours at the Museum
- Performs other duties as required
Non-essential Job Duties
- Work cohesively with other museum and planetarium staff providing input and information in a timely manner
- Willing to develop ongoing relationship with volunteers, staff and board members
- Assist as a team member of the Fundraising Committee efforts in decorations and other items needed to host a successful event
- Train and assist in point-of-sale and daily reporting
- Assist as needed in opening and closing the facilities
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet ongoing needs of the organization.
To apply for this position, please do one of the following:
- Mail your resume to Terry Bryant, Executive Director, Museum of Coastal Carolina, 21 E. Second Street, Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469.
- Email your resume to Terry@MuseumPlanetarium.org
- Drop your resume off at the Museum of Coastal Carolina. The Museum is currently open to the public from 10-3 on Friday and Saturday. There is usually a staff member at the Museum from 10-3 on Monday through Thursday.