Answers to Astronomy Quiz
The correct answers to the Astronomy Quiz are in bold.
1. What is the third planet from the sun?
2. What is the Red Planet?
3. Which candy bar is in outer space?
b. Baby Ruth
c. Milky Way
4. What is the Latin name for the sun?
5. The body that supplies heat and light to the small planet we call Earth is?
6. What objects gravitational pull is so great that nothing – not even light can escape from it?
a. Black Hole
c. Shooting Star
7. Based on their average distance from the Sun, what is the order of the planets?
a. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto
b. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto
c. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, Neptune
8. The name of a small object made of ice, frozen gas, and dust that orbits the sun is?
9. How long does it take the earth to go around the sun?
a. One Day
b. One Month
c. One Year
10. What best describes a “falling star”?
a. A flaming ball of gas
b. A star streaking across the sky near the Earth
c. A tiny rock vaporizing as it enters the Earth’s atmosphere
11. Which planet has a surface and atmosphere most like the Earth?
12. What is the brightest star in the night sky at any time?
13. A natural satellite that orbits a planet?
14. About how many stars are in our galaxy?
a. 200 billion
b. 200 thousand
c. 2 million
15. Which planet is referred to as the “planet of oceans”?
16. Which planet has the strongest winds?
17. Meteoroids that hurtle into the atmosphere as streaks of light are?
b. Shooting stars
18. Which planets have rings around them?
a. Saturn, Uranus, Jupiter, Neptune
b. Earth, Pluto, Mercury, Mars
c. Venus, Mars, Uranus, Saturn